Definition

sim·plic·i·ty: absence of luxury, pretentiousness, ornament, etc.; plainness: a life of simplicity.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The kids toys


I get SO tired of picking up toys. (Maybe I already said this?) But sometimes I feel like I spend all my housecleaning time just picking up stuff off the floor and it doesn't leave time for anything else. My solution? Get rid of the toys. Okay, not ALL the toys, but a lot of them. Also, I really need to start encouraging the girls to help me pick up instead of just doing it myself while they play or whatever (which let's admit it, its just easier to do it yourself sometimes!) So I went through all their toys. There were piles of toys everywhere in our apartment. I have no idea how we got so many toys. But there they were. So I went through every last one and asked my self several questions about that toy.

  1. When was the last time they played with it? (Or, have they ever played with it?)
  2. Do they have similar toys that I can get rid of all but their favorite of that group?
  3. How does this toy benefit them? Does it encourage learning, physical activity or using their imagination?
  4. Does the toy annoy me? (e.g. Fisher Price Corn Popper)
  5. Does the toy have too many pieces to keep track of? (Ahem, Mrs. Potato Head...)
  6. Am I keeping this toy because I want to them to like it and play with it, but they're really just not interested?
So using these questions, I managed to get rid of four 33 gal trash bags of toys. And honestly, I've been eying a few more that I'm thinking of getting rid of too! Now all their toys fit in the toy box in their room with three baskets for blocks and balls in the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment