Definition

sim·plic·i·ty: absence of luxury, pretentiousness, ornament, etc.; plainness: a life of simplicity.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Food


My food purging started back in the fall of 2010 just before a 4 week trip to Kenya. I had a goal of getting rid of everything in the freezer and refrigerator so that I could unplug that sucker while we were gone. So I needed to get smart about utilizing the food that we had. Its ridiculous really, that is how much food we had in our kitchen that we just weren't using. I have hominy in my cupboard. I really don't even know what that is! So I googled "recipe finder by ingredient". That search led me to http://www.supercook.com/. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this website. I started out by going through my kitchen and entering every ingredient in my cupboards, freezer and refrigerator (even the hominy). I was delighted to see the results. With what I had in my kitchen I could make 2,000+ recipes without even going to the grocery store. I could narrow those results by starters, entrees or desserts. I could further narrow the results by typing in one of the ingredients that I wanted to use. The site lists the recipes I can make with the ingredients I have on hand first and then also lists those that I can make, but just need to pick up a couple of extra ingredients at the store. The best part? When I signed up for an account with them they saved all those ingredients for me, so that I don't have to enter them every time. I remove items I've used up as I do and add new ones as I buy them. Did I mention this tool searches a bunch of different recipe sites? Yep, food.com, allrecipes.com, recipezaar.com and foodgeeks.com among others I'm sure. Some of the yummy recipes I've made utilizing this wonderful tool include:

  • Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust
  • Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
  • Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
  • Mexican Lasagna
  • Honey Glazed "dump" Chicken
  • Magic Meatloaf
  • Sausage Potatoes Au Gratin
Everything turned out amazing! Well except for the honey glazed chicken. It was too sweet for my husband and while I thought it was good, I didn't like it with rice. It had potential though. Anyway, that's besides the point. I've grown to depend on supercook.com when figuring out what to make for dinner every night. Its saved me money, trips to the grocery store and created room in our kitchen. Win/win/win.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome!! I am totally going to have to check this out!!

    ReplyDelete